Sunday 17 November 2013

Keeping it simple.

I'm not one to get scared off by a complicated recipe, but the last thing I want to do when I've been running around madly all day is attempt some process that requires 16 steps and random ingredients that I have to dig out from the back of my cupboard.

As luck would have it though, the best way to cook a piece of white fish happens to be the simplest.

Pan-fried white fish is something that brings back lots of memories for me...memories of going fishing with my dad, and bringing home whatever we could catch for my mom to fry up in a pan.  All you need are four ingredients:

-1 cup of flour
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 tbsp of whatever combination of herbs and spices that you desire (though you don't really have to add anything more than salt and pepper if you don't want to)
-2 tbsp butter

Combine the flour, salt, pepper, and spices (if you're using any).  Dredge the fish (that is, cover it in the flour mixture), then fry in melted butter until golden brown and crispy.

Simple right?  And delicious too.  Just ask Michael Smith...

The best thing about this particular method of cooking is that it's easy to add different flavours and change things up: all you need to do is vary which herbs and spices you add to the flour.  I was eating curried lentils with my fish this week, so I decided to add a couple of tablespoons of garam masala to my flour mixture....the result was pure deliciousness.

The second best thing is that the fish is done is fewer than 10 minutes!  These lentils took longer.......

No comments:

Post a Comment